Skip to main content

M for Moby Dick

Time for M.

Today I will be sharing quotes from one book for letter M.

This post is a part of A to Z Challenge. A month long blogging challenge in April.



The book I will sharing today is Moby Dick. This is a novel by Herman Melville. You can label it adventure fiction novel (read more).

I read this book a few years ago. It was in e-book format. It took me a couple of days to finish the book. I found the language a bit complex to understand at first. This is a sort of English classic and I did not want to leave it midway.

That is why I patiently read the book page by page over a few weeks.

Let  us look at the quotes now.

15 beautiful quotes from Moby Dick:

1. In this world, shipmates, sin that pays its way can travel freely and without a passport; whereas Virtue, if a pauper, is stopped at all frontiers.

2. There is no folly of the beast of the earth which is not infinitely outdone by the madness of man.

3. To produce a mighty book, you must choose a mighty theme. No great and enduring volume can ever be written on the flea, though many there be who have tried it.

4. Let faith oust fact; let fancy oust memory; I look deep down and do believe.

5. I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I'll go to it laughing.

6. It is not down on any map; true places never are.

7. I try all things, I achieve what I can.

8. Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I'd strike the sun if it insulted me.

9. Human madness is oftentimes a cunning and most feline thing. When you think it fled, it may have but become transfigured into some still subtler form.

10. It is the easiest thing in the world for a man to look as if he had a great secret in him.

11. Wonderfullest things are ever the unmentionable; deep memories yield no epitaphs.

12. Were I the wind, I'd blow no more on such a wicked, miserable world.

13. There is a wisdom that is woe; but there is a woe that is madness.

14. Long exile from Christendom and civilization inevitably restores a man to that condition in which God placed him, i.e. what is called savagery.

15. I promise nothing complete; because any human thing supposed to be complete, must for that very reason infallibly be faulty.

It was very difficult to choose 15 quotes from this book. It is full of many amazing words that will inspire everyone. 

Now it is your turn. Please do share your favorite quote from this collection. Do share your views about the book and quotes. I am looking forward to read your comments.

This is all for today. Have a beautiful Sunday!

Comments

  1. Hari Om
    "There is no folly of the beast of the earth which is not infinitely outdone by the madness of man."
    I think of current events and breath a sigh...
    Indeed a classic, Jui, and not, as you way, an easy read. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! I considering a re-read this year. Let's see how much time it takes!

      Thank you for sharing :)

      Delete
    2. #1 also made me think of current events, alas.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful quotes! I especially liked #6 and #7. You picked such a great theme for the A to Z challenge!

    Ann
    https://harvestmoonbyhand.blogspot.com/2018/04/hobbies-that-begin-with-n-blogging-from.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am so glad that you liked it :)

      Thank you for sharing your favorites!

      Delete

Post a Comment

What did you think about this post? Add in the comment box.

More positive posts

2 quotes that will change your life

Three Musketeers and The Count

Haiku on dreams